Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Problem with Picky Eaters

Let me just start by saying that picky eating is a huge pet peeve.  I never realized how much it rubbed me wrong until I started to take care of other people's kids in my own home.  I have several kids that are extreme picky eaters. I do not necessarily blame the parents; some feed their children only what they can afford and what they know how to cook.  I do my best to be understanding, but it really gets me fuming when I serve up a very tasty healthy meal and all they eat is the carb or the refuse to eat any of it.  I have been torn about what to do.
I follow the USDA regulations on what to offer and what not too along with my own preference to make everything homemade and with as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible.  I hated not having the kids eat the food I made and at first I stuck to foods that I knew they would eat, but I was running dangerously close to being out of compliance with the food regulations.  I asked them what I should do.  They stated that I am to serve the most healthy foods that I can; if the kids don't eat them don't worry about it.  I do serve food almost every two to three hours; so it isn't like they are starving.
I slowly have been having them eat a little more variety, but it is still a struggle.  I hate having to tell them that all there is to eat is what I have made and they can't have anything else till the next meal.  I have been trying to call the food different/funny names to get them to eat more with some success. Although, I am limited on time and energy to do that for six meals a day for 8+ kids.  I am always open for more ideas/tricks of the trade!  What do you do for picky eating?

No comments:

Post a Comment